May 2017 Newsletter
Connect With Us
Subscribe to our email newsletter
No upcoming events scheduled...
Children’s Mental Health Awareness Week
“PARTNERING for Help and Hope”
As we look to promote Children’s Mental Health Awareness week, May 1-6, we must remember and honor the fact that children are an integral part of a family unit, and increase our efforts to educate Vermont about the importance of prevention and early identification of mental health challenges. Further, we must advocate for a holistic approach to children’s mental health that includes the provision of supports that strengthen the family as they nurture resiliency.
Partnering with Family Run Support organizations, also called Peer Support, is a second crucial “Partnering,” as these organizations support families to improve their lives. This partnering with family organizations must be recognized as important to and requested by the families, and as a critical part of Vermont’s system of care for children and families.
Our third arm of partnering is the critical importance of integrating behavioral health and primary care for children, youth, and young adults with mental and/or substance use disorders. This involves recognizing the importance of social, emotional, behavioral, and physical health needs of children, youth, and young adults, and modeling effective communication practices between families, youth, behavioral health providers, and primary care providers.
Getting Ready For Children’s Mental Health Day!
Please consider joining us and others around the state as we celebrate Children’s Mental Health Awareness
Some scheduled activities for Children’s Mental Health Day/Week
* May 4, 11-2 PM, Church Street Marketplace- Outreach table to families, children and community members sponsored by VFFCMH
* May 4, 11-4 PM, Waterbury State Office Complex- Outreach and informational table sponsored by the Department of Mental Health and VFFCMH
* May 4, 8 PM, Me2/Burlington in Concert presented by Lamoille County Mental Health Services, Lamoille Union High School 736 VT. Route 15 W, Hyde Park VT
* United Counseling Services, Bennington, is offering
a free youth mental health first aid training, and doing bookmarks again this year in local businesses, bookstores and libraries.
* Open house First Call, at the Howard Center 1138 Pine Street, from 3-6. Light refreshments will be served